Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tip #2 - Mallanāga Vātsyāyana, Deepak Chopra, and the Kamasutra

I won't go into detail, but I admire Vatsyayana very much. He may not of been the first, but he is the author and guru of the Kamasutra.

Kama = Sensual or Sexual Pleasure
Sutra = Thread

His teachings ranged from courting rules, to rules of marriage and finally (what the book is mostly known for) tantric sex positions.

Now, I don't agree with ALL of Vatsyayana's teachings. For example, one of his rules is that if a woman is too pale or too dark, she is not good enough for the man. He also respects the practices of courteseans and said they knew more about the power of lovemaking than many others. I disagree. I believe anyone can be a master at lovemaking IF they practice it wisely.

I believe the best way to do that is to realize that every time you practice an act of sex (even foreplay), is to acknowledge it is a sacred act.

The disagreements I have with Vatsyayana's laws are why I mentioned Deepak Chopra in my title. He is a modern age Vatsyayna, and though he acknowledges the old rules of Kamasutra, advises the modern world to remain progressive.
"Lovemaking is akin to spiritual achievement" - Deepak Chopra

The more you tie spirituality into sex, the more sex means to you and he more special it is. It will no longer be a commodity but a higher form of expression and love, which I believe could be humanity's greatest achievement (love, not in relation to lovemaking itself haha).

So here is where my tip #2 comes in:
If you practice Kamasutra, try to learn as much about it as possible. A good place to start is with Deepak's version of the Kama Sutra. ( Book Cover ) It's simplified, involves the 7 Laws, and sex positions in the form of stories along with amazing art work.

I liked it so much, I have an art piece dedicated to this book as well:
Coming Of Age


Finally, I'd also suggest checking out some of the links around my page. Some have proven to be helpful.


Let me know if you like this tip or not, and I'm always thankful for suggestions on future posts!

2 comments:

  1. Saw you in the coffee shop and thought I'd pop by. Glad I did. This is very deep. Makes my dating disasters blog seems quite shallow. I'll be back.
    *Plentymorefishoutofwater - One Man's Dating Diary*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks so much! I'm honored ^^

    ReplyDelete